This post is also available in: Deutsch (German)
I admit it, for a while, I was addicted to Pinterest.
Since I always like to travel well prepared and since collecting information is part of the preparation, and since I wanted to try Pinterest, I entered keywords like “travelling in Africa”, “Namibia” or “Kilimanjaro” into Pinterest and then looked at colourful pictures for hours on end and pinned and pinned. Yes, you can get addicted to it.
At one point, I noticed things were getting a little confusing. So I – the librarian who catalogues and classifies everything – placed the pins in different thematic pinboards. And then again in folders inside the pinboards.
Then I noticed that there are many duplicates, i.e. several pins leading to the same website. Have I already said that I am a librarian? We hate duplicates in our information retrieval tools! That’s why I cleaned up the duplicates.
Some pins led to nothing. There was simply a 404 error message. I removed them.
And then some nasty people on Pinterest use pictures from other websites to refer to their own. You cheerfully pin something to Zanzibar, but if you open the website to the pin, you end up somewhere else and often there where there are things you don’t want to have on your computer. So I also removed these pins.
What remains are several thousand links that are useful not only to me but also to others who are planning a trip to Africa or who want to dream of such a trip. Therefore I would like to share this source of information with you.
- All pinboards from OutInAfrica
- Pinboard about this blog
- Pinboard about Travelling in Africa – that is, the travel itself (preparation, implementation) and in general, what cannot be sorted to a specific country or region
- Pinboard about Destinations in Africa – also very general
- Pinboard about Southern Africa – Websites about the region that cannot be classified to a specific country
- Pinboard about East Africa – Websites about the region that cannot be classified to a specific country
- Pinboard about Tanzania
- Pinboard about Kenya
- Pinboard about Uganda
- Pinboard about Malawi
- Pinboard about Rwanda
- Pinboard about Burundi
- Pinboard about Democratic Republic of Congo – I am particularly interested in the regions in the east of the country.
- Pinboard about Ethiopia
- Pinboard about Madagascar
- Pinboard about Eritrea
- Pinboard about West Africa – There is little information about this part of Africa, but the region interests me. When I find something, I pin it here.
- Pinboard about North Africa – Since I don’t really plan to travel to one of these countries, I only pin here if something coincidentally crosses my path.
- Pinboard about Zentralafrika – There is very little about these countries on the Internet.
- Pinboard about the Islands of the Indian Ocean
- Pinboard about Factsheets and Maps about Africa and African countries
- Pinboard about Memes about Africa – these are quotations and sayings about Africa
- Pinboard about Animals in Africa
- Pinboard about Nature Conservation in Africa
- Pinboard about Activities, you might want to pursue during a trip to Africa
- Pinboard about Fotos from Africa
The websites to which links are placed are mainly in English and German, but here and there you will also find something in Afrikaans or Dutch.
Since I could rearrange the pinboards, it can be that the above-mentioned links also lead into the void. Just click on
and then you’ll find what you’re looking for.
I said I was an addict. I am not anymore. Meanwhile I find little that is new. It has become a little tedious to find pins that I don’t know yet. Of course I will continue to pin, because Pinterest is very cool.
If you also like to travel on Pinterest, I welcome you on my pinboards and am happy if you like one or the other pin so much that you repin it.